Curtain Rods and Custom stoppers

Curtain Rods and Custom stoppers

Assuming it doesn’t come with the set there is a whole other design feature that you need choose when buying a window treatment. What style rod matches the decor of the shades and cornice. A special shade stopper could add plenty of elegance to otherwise plain window. Unless it is completely covered by the cornice the rod or stopper is always noticeable. Of course you need to find something that could go room design without being too large fancy.

A tip to follow for matching a style is, unless you are going for a specific historic style the simpler the better. It is also good to note that black goes with most colors. Crystal could end up being pretty transparent which could hide the stopper altogether.


Make Your Windows Appealing Using Curtains And Valances

Valances are a form of window treatments which cover the uppermost part of the window. These can be hung alone or can be paired with window blinds or curtains and are basically used for the purpose of wall decorative effect and also in order to conceal the curtain rods, blinds or shade hardware.

You can find various styles, patterns and types of Valances matching your curtains in various stores in NYC.

The Infographic titled “Décor Your Windows With Valances” explains the various types of valances which are available in NYC. These include the following:

  • Crenellated: These types of valances feature a cutout edge at the bottom hem which is similar in appearance to the edge of the castle, usually a stiffer, flat fabric.
  • Swag: This is a type of valance having one or more sections of draped fabric that hang down between the points in a rounded fashion. These are also called as Festoon or Jabot.
  • Tailored, Flat: This is a flat, rectangular valance without gathers or ruffles.
  • Balloon: These are puffy valance which are made up of light weight fabric that is gathered or shirred in order to create a balloon effect.

For further details, refer the given Infographic.


Cornices or Pelmets?

When you look at a hard top window treatments you might initially have trouble determining if they are cornices or pelmets. Cornices and Pelmets are often used interchangeably. They are both hard window treatments that decorate the top edge of the window; however, they are technically slightly different. A cornice means a ledge and refers to a horizontal decorative molding that crowns a building, piece of furniture or window . The function of a building cornice is to throw rainwater off the building, and in that regard it is similar to the eves or roof edge. The difference between the eves and cornice is that the cornice has decorative molding attached.  The combination of the decorative molding and the eves gives the cornice is characteristic projecting crown, plus one of myriad types of decoration.

The decorations added to the cornice can appear in many different forms. While true cornices (as opposed to pelmets) all have a projecting crown at the top, they differ in the shape of the sub layers of decoration. There may be a middle layer of carved wood, for example, sitting between smaller jutting cornice crown like projections, each subsequent projection smaller than the one above it. The possibilities are endless when we consider ;that the size of each projection, its shape and its height; and the number of projections and their size, height, and curvature can vary extensively.

The pelmet is a palm leaf like decoration that generally conceals curtain fixtures. In fact, etymologically, the word derive from the  old English word palmette or palm leaf like decorative covering. The pelmet in comparison to the cornice is missing a crown and various layers of decorative molding found in cornices. The pelmet, in fact, frequently consists of a flat layer of decorative fabric covering a wood frame that sits at the top of the window treatment (drape, shade or blind), and covers it.  Pelmets are often cloth covered, whereas cornices are more likely to be made of wood, plaster, or faux wood.  Another essential difference between cornices and pelmets is that the cornices are related to the crown molding of a room as it interacts with the window, whereas the pelmet relates to covering the top of the window or other structure and not forming part of the room molding in any way.


Enhancing Window Treatments With Cornices, Valences, and Swags

Cornices, valences, and swags are window treatments that often enhance existing window coverings such as drapes, shades or blinds. All three window additions sit on top and or to the side of existing coverings and add color, texture, and depth to the arrangement. These three window additions embellish drapes, blinds and shades much as drapes blind and shades add interest to a bare window.

Cornices stand out from valences and swags by their solid framed structure, which comes out from the wall like a shallow rectangular box and sits over the top of the window and or window treatment The underlying cover, be they drapes shades, or blinds dramatically drop down from behind the cornice. Cornices may be made of wood or metal and may be covered by fabric. The possibilities for matching cornice color to existing window dressings and or the room décor is nearly endless and makes for interesting design challenges.

Window valences are cloth material that drapes over the top of the existing curtain, shade or blind. They can be chosen to blend with the underlying covering, or to contrast in a harmonious.

and interesting way. They can be created to mesh harmoniously with the room décor. Like cornices, valences can hide ugly curtain rails, thereby softening the upper border of the window. Custom valences can be cut to any dimension, with virtually unlimited selection of fabric, color, pattern, trim choices, large or small pleats, if any, and style (swag, jabots, trumpets, etc.) Valences may sit straight across the window or appear in varied shapes in the both the upper and lower border. Possibilities include a or swag like, diagonal, They might be of one uniform color or multiple patterned as for example, one pattern for the valance, and an alternate color for the pleats. Balloon valences are so full that they create round “poufs” that are pushed into the room by the walls or window. Banner valences are formed of triangularly shaped fabric segments that overlap. A bell is a section of a valence that stands out as a triangular cone. When a valance consists of multiple fabrics, the face fabric is the one that stands out the most and predominates. A grommet is a punched out hole surrounding by a supporting ring, as are seen in shower curtains. They are found at the top of some valences, which hand down from the curtain rod rather than cover it. A jabot is the side tail of a valence that hangs down on either side of the window. Jabots may also drop down from the center part of the curtain usually between swags.

Swags, valences and cornices both shape and crown windows and window treatments adding beauty and distinction to the existing decorations and the room decor. Their presence takes the window covering out of the category of the utilitarian and mundane and transports it to the realm of the beautiful and artistic. They increase the treatment’s depth by using layering, texture, and contrast, adding whole additional realms of possibilities to window decoration planning.

Resource: To create and install high quality cornices, valances, and swags in the greater New York area contact Royal Window Treatments; 180 Lexington Ave, 2nd Fl New York, New York 10016; (212) 473-1111;